- 200g 70% cocoa, dark chocolate
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1 tbsp caster sugar (optional)
Make this timeless, delicious dessert in 5 easy steps! It will only take you 15 minutes to prepare it, then put it in the fridge and relax.
1. Place the chocolate, egg yolks and caster sugar (if you want it sweet) into the bowl and set it aside.
2. Place thickened cream into a small saucepan and bring to a high simmer, but do not allow it to boil. After a few minutes, remove from heat.
3. If you have a food processor, turn it on and start pouring the cream into the bowl with eggs and sugar. Start mixing until smooth.
4. Pour the mixture into the serving glass or bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for about 2-3 hours.
5. After the mousse is chilled, put some coconut shreds on top to decorate. You can also use some berries or chocolate bits.
We’ve tried and tested this – and our final advice is:
- avoid the caster sugar all together, unless your dark chocolate is very bitter or more than 70% cocoa
- try to purchase good quality, smooth dark chocolate – it doesn’t have to be cooking chocolate. Think “Lindt” or similar.
- this can also be a great cake frosting or used as cupcake topping!
Let us know how it went or how you like your dark chocolate mousse to be served!Dark Chocolate Mousse with Coconut Shreds,